2 cups low-fat or fat-free milk
1 piece vanilla bean, split lengthwise (you can use vanilla essence)
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 large egg
- Pour milk into heavy medium saucepan. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean; add bean. Bring to simmer.
- Whisk sugar and cornstarch in medium bowl until no lumps remain. Add egg; whisk until well blended.
- Gradually whisk hot milk mixture into egg mixture. Return to same saucepan; whisk over medium heat until sauce thickens and boils, about 5 minutes.
- Pour into another medium bowl. Chill until cold, stirring occasionally, about 4 hours.
- Before serving, remove vanilla bean and whisk to loosen.)
You Can make this 2 days ahead. Cover and keep chilled.