Beetroot.. this magical vegetable.. contains high sources of vitamin C, A, & Beta carotene. It's high in minerals such as, calcium, magnesium, potassium and Amino Acids.
This Antioxidant does wonders for your cholesterol and the health of your skin..
So.. enough said.. it's time for our healthy yummy dessert recipe...
225g Self-raising flour
1/2 tsp Baking soda
1 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp Cinnamon
180ml Vegetable oil
225g Brown sugar
3 Eggs, separated - Yolks separated from the whites
1/4 tsp Vanilla extract
150g Raw beetroot, grated
1/2 lemon, juiced
75g Sultanas - Raisins
75g Hazelnuts, Chopped
10 tbsp Icing sugar, sifted
1-2 tbsp Boiling water
a few drops of lemon juice
some lemon rind
- Set the oven on 180c.
- Greece the loaf tin with butter and then cover it lightly with flour to avoid the cake from sticking or line the loaf tin with baking paper.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, & cinnamon.
- In a mixer, beat the oil & sugar together then add the egg yolks one by one while mixing well between each addition ans add the vanilla extract.
- Fold the beetroot into the mixture and add the lemon juice, raisins, and hazelnuts.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the mixture and mix them well.
- In the mixture, place the egg whites and beat until almost stiff then fold hem into the previous mixture using a metal spoon - do not use a wooden spoon because it won't allow the air to go through.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf tin and bake for 50 minutes at least - it could need more than 50 minutes depending on the oven used.
- Half way through cooking the cake, place a foil on top it prevent it from browning too much while the inside is not fully cooked.
- While the cake is in the oven, prepare the icing by mixing the sifted icing sugar, the lemon juice & rind and using enough boiling water to create a sticky shiny icing to smooth it on top of the cake.