Chicken Tandoori Salad
1 Cup yogurt
2 Teaspoons garam masala powder
1 Teaspoon ground ginger
1 Teaspoon minced garlic
1 Teaspoon ground turmeric
1 Teaspoon coarse salt
1 jalapeno chile, stemmed seeded, and finely minced (optional)
1&1/2 Pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, gently flattened and cut into strips
1 small head shredded lettuce, (3 cups)
1 small head shredded red cabbage, (3 cups)
6 large diced tomatoes, (3 cups)
1 sliced radishes, (1 cup)
1 large sliced cucumber, (2 cups)
1&1/2 white turnip (optional)
1 scallions, minced
1 Cup cilantro leaves, finely chopped
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
Juice of 2 to 3 small lemons
- Prepare the marinade: In a medium bowl combine yogurt, garam masala, ginger, garlic, turmeric, salt, and jalapeño, if using.
- Add chicken and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate while preparing salad.
- In a large bowl, toss together lettuce, cabbage, tomatoes, radishes, cucumber, scallions, white turnip(optional), and cilantro; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken along with the marinade and cook, stirring, until the chicken is just cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer chicken and pan juices to salad mixture and toss to combine. Drizzle with lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine.