This recipe can accompany the Oh So Divine Red Velvet CupCakes!
1 Cup cream cheese, at room temperature
1/4 Cup unsalted butter - half a stick, softened
1/2 tsp essence of Vanilla
11/4 Cups powdered sugar, sifted
Pinch of salt
-Using an electric mixer, beat together the cream cheese and the butter to a smooth consistency.
- Lower the speed on the mixer and add the powdered sugar, salt, and vanilla.
- Turn the mixer on high again, beat the ingredients until light and fluffy.
- Its ready to use at once, cover if using it later.
This recipe makes one 1 dozen regular size cupcakes.
11/4 cups sifted all purpose flour, make sure you sift it prior to measuring
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
4 tbsp unsalted butter, around 1/4 cup
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 tsp white vinegar
1/2 tsp baking soda
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees, line 2 12-cups muffin tins with cupcake paper.
- In a bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set side.
- In a small bowl mix together the food coloring and cocoa powder until smooth with no lumps, set aside.
- Using an electric mixer beat the butter and sugar together for around 3 minutes or until it's light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla, then the cocoa powder & baking soda mix.
- Add in 1/3 of the flour mixture to the butter mixture beating it well.
- Add in half of the butter milk to the mixture while beating.
- Beat in another 1/3 of the flour mixture and the second half of the buttermilk.
- Finely beat in the last 1/3 of the flour mixture and beat until everything is well combined.
- In a small bowl, place the vinegar and add the baking soda to it. (it will foam a little bit).
- Add the vinegar mixture to the cake batter and stir it with a spatula to combine it well.
- Using an ice cream scooper, fill 3/4 of the muffin tins with the cupcake batter.
- Place the tins in the oven and bake for 22 minutes. Insert a toothpick in the middle to check if the cupcakes are done.
- Cool the cakes for 10 minutes in the muffin tins, and then cool them for another ten minutes after removing them from the tins and placing them on a wire rack.
- The must be completely cool before frosting them.
Frosting them with Cream Cheese Icing (Recipe)
1 Packet of baby Spinach
1 can Beetroot, round slices
1 red onion
2 Avocados, ripe
1/2 cup of frozen edamame, beans only
Handful of parsley, roughly chopped
Toasted shredded almonds
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 tsp Honey
1/4 tsp Dijon Mustard
1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
2 tbsp Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
- Clean and wash the baby spinach
- Cut beetroot rounds into halves, discard the liquid
- Cut the red onion into thin slices, julienned, then place in a bowl and pour the vinegar on top of it. set it side until assembling the salad.
- Cut the avocado into cubes and cover them with lemon juice to avoid them going brown
- In a big bowl arrange the salad ingredients by starting with the spinach leaves on the bottom, topped with the beetroot.
- Add the onions without the vinegar.
- Add the avocado, then the frozen edamame.
top the salad with the chopped parsley and toasted almonds.
- Add the dressing when serving and mix.