French Onion Soup
2 tablespoons butter
3 large onions, peeled, sliced
1 can beef broth
3 cups cold water
1 bay leaf
6 slices French bread, toasted
1 cup Shredded Swiss Cheese
1/4 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Melt butter in large skillet on medium heat.
- Add onions; cook about 15 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Add broth, water and bay leaf; stir. Cover; simmer 15 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Preheat broiler. Ladle hot soup evenly into 6 ovenproof bowls; top each bowl of soup with a toast slice. Sprinkle evenly with cheeses.
- Broil 5 to 10 minutes or until cheese is golden brown.
For a milder cheese flavor, substitute Shredded Mozzarella Cheese for the Swiss cheese.