Tiramisu ~ WS Style
6 egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
1 pound Mascarpone Cheese, softened (found in Sultan Center)
2 cups heavy cream, chilled
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons espresso, plus 2 to 3 cups brewed 5 egg whites
40-50 lady fingers
- In a mixing bowl set over a pan of simmering water, beat the egg yolks and sugar until the mixture is pale yellow and thick (4 to 5 minutes).
-Transfer the mixture to the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Add the mascarpone cheese and beat until smooth and creamy (2 to 3 minutes).
- In a chilled large mixing bowl, beat the cream to stiff peaks.
Add the water, vanilla and the 2 tablespoons of espresso and beat until smooth.
- In a clean mixing bowl, beat the egg whites to stiff peaks.With a rubber spatula, gently fold the mascarpone mixture into the cream until blended and smooth.
- Add about 1 cup of the beaten egg whites and fold gently until blended.
- Add the remaining egg whites and fold gently until the mixture is smooth and blended.
- One at a time, submerge each ladyfinger into the remaining espresso, then it on the bottom of a 6-quart glass or ceramic baking or serving dish (about 2 inches deep). Continue to form a complete layer.
- Spread half of the mascarpone mixture over the soaked ladyfingers until evenly covered.
- Arrange another layer of soaked ladyfingers over the mascarpone cream, then spread the remaining mascarpone cream evenly over the top.
- Dust the Tiramisù with cocoa powder to create a rich, dark topping.
Refrigerate at least 4 hours or up to 1 day before serving.