Creme Brulee ~ French Cuisine
1 litre of thickened cream
1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
12 egg yolks
250 grams caster sugar
- Boil cream and vanilla. Whisk yolks and sugar together. Pour cream slowly over yolk mix and whisk to combine. Strain mixture through fine strainer. Skim the scum off the top with a spoon. Pour into custard cups.
- Bring water for the water bath to a light simmer on top of the stove; carefully pour hot water into the baking pan to come half-way the cup's sides (the water should come up to the level of the custard inside the cups. You must protect your custard from the heat)
- Baked 60 minutes or until set around the edges but still loose in the center. The cooking time will depend largely on the size of the custard cups you are using, but begin checking at a half hour and check back regularly.
- Remove from oven and leave in the water bath until cooled. Remove cups from water bath and refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 2 days.
- To serve: sprinkle even layer of caster sugar over each pot, then caramelise using a blowtorch. (If you don't have a torch, place creme brulees 6 inches below the broiler for 4 to 6 minutes or until sugar bubbles and turns golden brown). R
- Refrigerate creme brulees at least 10 minutes before serving.
make the custard a day ahead, allowing for a bubble-free surface for even caramelisation.