Toffee Pudding for this wednesday ~ NL
I'm making a rather large menu for this coming wednesday gathering..
For starters ..Beetroot corn salad and also a rocca & pomegranate salad .. our main dish will include a variety of..old fashoined mashed potatoes, Halloumi with tomatoes and Oregano and eggplant involtini and finely for dessert I'm making my famous fruit salad with special sause and Toffee pudding..
I'm going to share the Toffee pudding with you for now, since it's the easiest and most fun to do.. plus what's better than yummy warm toffee in kuwait's "now" so cold..cold weather..
For the cake:
100g dark muscovado sugar ( found in all co-ops across Kuwait)
175g self-raising flour
125ml full-fat milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
50g unsalted butter, melted
200g, chopped, rolled dates
For the sauce:
200g dark muscovado sugar
25g unsalted butter in little blobs
500ml boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees and butter a 1 & 1/2 litre capacity pudding dish.
- Combine the 100g dark muscovado sugar with the flour in a large bowl. Pour the milk into a measuring jug, beat in the egg, vanilla and melted butter and then pour this mixture over the sugar and flour, stirring with a wooden spoon to combine. Fold in the dates then scrape into the prepared pudding dish.
- Sprinkle over 200g dark muscovado sugar and dot with the butter. Pour over the boiling water and transfer to the oven. Set for 45 minutes (it might need 5 or 10 minutes more).
- The top of the pudding should be springy and spongy when it's cooked; underneath, the butter, dark muscovado sugar and boiling water will have turned into a rich, sticky sauce.
- Serve with vanilla icecream, creme fraiche, double or single cream as you wish.