This creamy mushroom soup recipe is very easy to make and you could find all the ingredients at the local co-op.
1 oz. dried porcini mushrooms (found at sultan center)
3/4 cup hot water
12 oz. mushrooms (reserve 4 whole mushrooms for garnish)
1-2 Tablespoons butter
1 garlic clove, pressed
2 cups vegetable broth
3 Tablespoons chopped parsley + extra for garnish
1/2 cup cream
fresh lemon juice
salt, pepper and freshly ground nutmeg (you might not find it here in Kuwait.. sadly it's banned!)
1. Pour the 3/4 cups of hot water over the dried mushrooms and let them sit for 10 minutes to re-hydrate.
2. In the meantime, clean and chop the fresh mushrooms, reserving 4 whole ones for a garnish.
3. In a large pot, melt the butter and stir in the pressed garlic. Add the chopped mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Remove the dried mushrooms with a slotted spoon and add the pot. Do not throw out the liquid.
5. Line a strainer with a coffee filter and strain the re-hydrating liquid. Add the strained liquid to the pot, along with the 2 cups of vegetable broth.
6. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
7. Stir in the 3 tablespoons chopped parsley.
8. Using a hand blender, blend the soup. Stir in the cream.
Season the soup with salt, pepper and some nutmeg. Stir in some lemon juice. Slice the reserved mushrooms. Ladle the soup into 4 bowls, top each with sliced mushrooms and some parsley and serve.
items used for this recipe: