Spaghetti & Meat Sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 medium onions, chopped
2 pounds lean ground beef
3 cans whole tomatoes
3 cans tomato paste
18 ounces water
1 teaspoon sugar
salt to taste
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 bay leaf crumbled
2 & 1/2 pounds spaghetti, cooked and drained
grated parmesan cheese
- In a large pot, saute garlic, parsley and onion until tender, but not browned.
- Add the ground beef; cook over high heat, stirring to break up the meat as it browns.
- Crush tomatoes in a blender or with a potato masher. Add to the pot with the tomato paste, water, sugar, salt, oregano, basil, pepper and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 45 minutes.
- Taste and correct seasonings by adding salt, pepper or more sugar if needed.
- Serve over cooked spaghetti, topped with grated parmesan cheese.
"This recipe makes a lot of sauce, but it freezes well"