Earthy .. Lovely .. Cream of Eggplant Soup.
Couple of eggplants, grilled, peeled, & cut into cubes.
1 Onion roughly chopped
1 Potato roughly chopped - preferably small pieces so it cooks faster
1/2 cup KDD cream - or Creme Fraiche if available
1 tbsp Flour
a little bit of butter
2 cups Chicken stock
Salt & Pepper
1 tsp Ground caraway
a little bit of Nutmeg
Finely chopped parsley for garnish
- In a medium size pot, start off with the olive oil and butter and let the butter melt.
- Add the chopped onions and the salt to help it sweat and soften.
- In goes the garlic and pepper and mix well.
- While stirring, add the flour and mix well so it doesn't burn at the bottom of the pot.
- Add the chopped potato and mix all together well, then add the caraway.
- Add the chopped eggplants to the mixture and stir for 3 minutes then add the chicken stock.
- Leave the mixture to simmer for 30 minutes and bring it to a boil.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender and ladle in half of the soup so it doesn't fill up the blender.
- Transfer the bended soup into a new pot and ladle the rest to blend.
- Add the other blended amount of mixture into the new pot and put it on the stove again.
- Add the cream and mix.
- Add the nutmeg and a little bit more caraway for taste.
- Finely pour into a soup dish and garnish with finely chopped parsley.
P.S. Salt should be added in moderation because the chicken stalk is already salted.