Just last night I baked those lovely and heavenly tasting cupcakes, everyone raved about them and the process of making them was so easy.
The ingredients below make around 1 dozen cupcakes, so double the ingredients if you want more !!
3 or 4 large carrots, peeled and grated finely
1/2 cup ground walnuts - or chopped to small pieces & toasted
2 medium size eggs
1/4 Leban or buttermilk
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
1/2 teaspoon baking soda ( found in sultan center - Arm & Hammer is the one I use)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
zest of one orange
1&1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoons ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
& for the frosting:
1/2 stick butter (unsalted)
1 cup cream cheese (Philadelphia)
3/4 cup powdered sugar
- You start off by preheating the oven at 180C.
- In a bowl, place the carrots, eggs, leban (buttermilk), sugar, oil, orange zest & vanilla and whisk well.
- Then seperetly, in a different bowl whisk your dry ingredients: flour, baking soda & powder, salt, ground cardamom & cinnamon.
- mix both the dry ingredients & the carrot mixture together gently to incorporate.
- add the toasted walnuts, folding them in gently.
- Using cupcake pan (regular size) and paper baking cups, scoop 3/4 of the mixture into each paper cup.
- Bake for 28 minutes at 180C.
- While the cupcakes are baking, prepare the frosting by combining 1/2 stick of butter, 1 cup of cream cheese (Philadelphia cream cheese) and 3/4 cup powdered sugar beat until well combined. set aside.
- Remove cupcakes from oven when done. Allowing them to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Take them out of the pan and on to a wire rack.
- When fully cooled, spread the cupcakes with the frosting