This recipe makes one 1 dozen regular size cupcakes.
11/4 cups sifted all purpose flour, make sure you sift it prior to measuring
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
4 tbsp unsalted butter, around 1/4 cup
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 tsp white vinegar
1/2 tsp baking soda
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees, line 2 12-cups muffin tins with cupcake paper.
- In a bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set side.
- In a small bowl mix together the food coloring and cocoa powder until smooth with no lumps, set aside.
- Using an electric mixer beat the butter and sugar together for around 3 minutes or until it's light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla, then the cocoa powder & baking soda mix.
- Add in 1/3 of the flour mixture to the butter mixture beating it well.
- Add in half of the butter milk to the mixture while beating.
- Beat in another 1/3 of the flour mixture and the second half of the buttermilk.
- Finely beat in the last 1/3 of the flour mixture and beat until everything is well combined.
- In a small bowl, place the vinegar and add the baking soda to it. (it will foam a little bit).
- Add the vinegar mixture to the cake batter and stir it with a spatula to combine it well.
- Using an ice cream scooper, fill 3/4 of the muffin tins with the cupcake batter.
- Place the tins in the oven and bake for 22 minutes. Insert a toothpick in the middle to check if the cupcakes are done.
- Cool the cakes for 10 minutes in the muffin tins, and then cool them for another ten minutes after removing them from the tins and placing them on a wire rack.
- The must be completely cool before frosting them.
Frosting them with Cream Cheese Icing (Recipe)